Protect Your Vehicle Against Catalytic Converter Theft.
In recent days, the Kalamazoo County Sheriff's Office has responded to several catalytic converter thefts in Ross and Richland Townships.
Catalytic converters are designed to act as a line of defense against harmful exhaust system emissions in vehicles manufactured after 1974. Thieves target catalytic converters because they contain precious metals that are valuable to metal dealers.
To help protect your vehicle's catalytic converter, consider these helpful tips:
1. When possible, park in well-lit areas and close to building entrances.
2. If you have a garage at your house, park your car inside and keep the
garage door shut.
3. Have the catalytic converter welded to your car's frame, which may make it
harder to steal.
4. Consider engraving your vehicle identification number (VIN) on the
catalytic converter — this may help alert a scrap dealer that it was stolen
and make it easier to identify the owner.
5. Calibrate your car's alarm to set off when it detects vibration
Understanding when your car might be a target for catalytic converter theft is the first key to preventing it. By following these protective measures, you may help deter thieves from targeting your vehicle.