THE NEXT ELECTION IS --- TUESDAY, MAY 8, 2018. The last day to request an absentee ballot is Monday, May 7, 2018 by 4:00 p.m. Our office will be open on Saturday, May 5th for those wishing to obtain an absentee ballot. Close of registration for the May 8th election is Monday, April 9th.
HOW DO I REGISTER TO VOTE? Residents who are 17 1/2 years of age or older may register to vote at the Township Offices (7401 N 32nd Street), any Secretary of States Branch Office or the Kalamazoo County Clerk’s office. You may also register to vote on line at the Michigan Secretary of State website however; voters who have not registered to vote in person (by personally visiting one of the 3 agencies) must vote in person on their first election. This requirement only applies to new first-time voters in the State of Michigan.
HOW DO I OBTAIN AN ABSENTEE BALLOT? If you qualify because of one of the six reasons listed on the Absentee Ballot application, you may request an absentee ballot up until the Saturday before any election. You can download an application from the Michigan Secretary of State website. These are the reasons you would qualify to vote by absentee ballot:
- Age 60 years old or older
- Unable to vote without assistance at the polls
- Expecting to be out of town on election day
- In jail awaiting arraignment or trial
- unable to attend the polls due to religious reasons
- Appointed to work as an electin inpector in a precinct ojutside of your precinct of your residence
- You can also call or come into the Township Office to get an application. Please be prepared to show a valid, government issued ID when you apply. You may also apply in writing as long as you include your reason for needing an Absentee Ballot, your registered address in Richland Township, where you want the ballot sent, and your signature.
For additional information or questions, please call us at 269-629-4921 during office hours of Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. or via email at Contact Us.